Booting SUSE in single user mode
For basic system administration function you might require to reboot your SUSE server in maintenance / single user mode.
Follow following set of steps to boot the server in single user mode.
1. At the boot screen select the normal kernel for booting the server.
2. At the bottom of the screen you might observe the boot Options menu.
3. On the boot options menu place the following command to boot in single user mode.
boot option init=/bin/bash
4. This should now boot the server in single user mode.
5. for basic server administration check if the servers root partition is mounted in a rw mode with a mount command.
6. If not mount the partition in rw mode with the command
<none>~ # mount -o remount,rw /
7. once done reboot the server .