Access Joomla with temporary URL
Sometimes you would like to access Joomla with a temporary URL for testing or in case the domain is not propagated. In order to access Joomla using temporary URL you can follow following steps:
Go to the directory where the Joomla for the domain is currently installed. For instance consider I have installed Joomla for my domain in joomla1 folder under my domain.
1) Go to the folder joomla1 under your domain:
[root@server ~]# cd /home/user/public_html/joomla1
2) Now copy the htaccess.txt to .htaccess if it does not exist
[root@server joomla1]# cp htaccess.txt .htaccess
3) Assign appropriate ownership
[root@server joomla1] # chown user.user .htaccess
4) Open the .htaccess file
[root@server joomla1]# vi .htaccess
5) Now in order to enable the access to temporary URL you can do the following
Locate the line which says “# RewriteBase /”
6) Uncomment the line and edit it as follows:
7) Save and quit the file now.
8 ) Try accessing your Joomla site now with URL:: http://XX.XX.XX.XX/~user/joomla1.